Monday, May 28, 2018

Semicolon Quilt

  

   This quilt is really special to me. It has so much meaning, even beyond the obvious symbolism of the mental health awareness semi-colon. Several sweet friends made some of these blocks in a Bee swap I participated in, and that makes it so much more precious to me. I also have a great fondness for language and books. I hope to make more quilts in this vein, with more symbols and words. This is the perfect quilt for me to curl up with and spend some time reading. It is a great escape when the world is too much. Please feel free to use my block layout and measurements make one of your own, or for a friend.

   The measurements given make a 22" finished block, which I realise is on the big size, but the squares are on a 2" finished scale. If you are comfortable working with smaller pieces, you can cut your squares at 2" instead of 2.5" and they will finish at 1.5" or go even smaller if you like a challenge! I like this size because it makes a great size quilt with only 12 blocks. These work great scrappy or color coordinated.





You will need the following pieces:

Ten 2.5" squares of colour
Two 2.5" squares of solid background
Three 2.5" x 6.5" rectangles of solid background
Two 8.5" x  22.5" rectangles of solid background
Twelve 2.5" half square triangles *

(*There are countless different ways to make HST units,
use whichever method you prefer.
Just make sure they are 2.5" just like the other
squares we are working with in this block.)

Block Layout


Construct this block in chunks.

Make the top dot part, then the lower part,
then connect them into a vertical row using one of the
smaller background rectangles between them. 
Add another rectangle to the top, and one to the bottom.
Then attach the large rectangles to the sides complete the block. 


I hope you enjoy making this.

If you share on Instagram or other social media, use the hashtag #semicolonquilt





No comments:

Post a Comment